Christmas is here. Yay! What, it isn’t? 😮 But why should that stop me from knitting these cute little snowmen!
Last year, I started knitting late for Christmas and boy, did I have a tough time. Learnt my lesson and decided to start early this time. So today, on a beautiful Saturday, instead of going out and doing fun things like other normal people, I sat down with my yarns and needles and spent an entire day with them. And lookie here, what nice things we have made 😀
The big snowman is 6 inches tall and took—I believe—an entire day to make. The small one was much more forgiving at 3 ½ inches. I managed to knit, stuff, sew, make pom-poms and fringe and attach them on their respective places in under two hours.
If you like these cuties and want to make one, here’s the pattern for small snowman.
- 4 ply yarn in white, blue and red; and a small amount of black for eyes
- Size 12 (2.75 mm) needles
- Polyester fiberfill (for stuffing)
- Tapestry needle
- Crochet hook (for fringe)
- Beginning at bottom, CO 10 sts with white.
- Row 1 (RS): [K1, inc 1] in each st across. (20 sts)
- Row 2 and all rem WS rows: Purl.
- Row 3: Rep Row 1. (40 sts)
- Row 5-20: Work even in St st.
- Row 21: *K2, k2tog, rep from * across. (30 sts)
- Row 23: *K1, k2tog, rep from * across. (20 sts)
- Row 25-34: Work even in St st.
- Row 35: *K2, k2tog, rep from * across. (15 sts)
- Row 37: *K1, k2tog, rep from * across. (10 sts)
- Row 38: Purl
Cut yarn leaving a 10-inch end. Using tapestry needle, thread yarn through remaining stitches, pull tight, then sew back seam. Stuff body, gather bottom stitches and pull tight; fasten off securely. Shape body. With black, embroider eyes.
- With blue, CO 24 sts.
- Rows 1-5: Work in k2, p2 ribbing
- Rows 6-16: Beginning with a purl row, work even in St st.
- Row 17: *K2, k2tog, rep from * across.
- Row 18: Purl
- Row 19: *K1, k2tog, rep from * across.
- Row 20: Purl
Cut yarn leaving a 10-inch end. Using tapestry needle, thread yarn through remaining stitches, pull tight, then sew back seam. Make a small red pompom and fasten to top of hat.
- With blue, CO 7 sts.
- Row 1: K1, *p1, k1, rep from * across.
- Rep Row 1 until scarf measures 11 inches long. BO all sts.
Wrap yarn 20 times around a 1-inch wide piece of cardboard; cut along 1 edge. *Fold 3 strands in half, pull loop through stitches with crochet hook, pull ends through loop, pull snug. Rep from * in every other stitch across both ends of scarf. Trim ends even.
And you’re done! Easy, wasn’t it 🙂